Cardigan Mountain School
Grounds Team Leader
I. Job Summary: Responsible for the maintenance of school grounds and landscape structures in accordance with Department operating procedures and standards and CMS policies and plans. Plans and executes landscape maintenance programs and plans and constructs landscape improvement projects. Leads and supervises permanent and temporary grounds team members. Supports special event and function set-up and takedown and organizes and executes the moving of furniture and unloading of supplies and equipment. Assists with carrying out the general mission and tasks of the Facilities Department.
- Supervision Received:
Works under the general direction of the Assistant Director of Facilities, who assigns areas of responsibility, outlines policy, reviews work in progress and/or completion, and provides instruction and guidance as necessary.
- Supervision Exercised:
Supervises and leads permanent and temporary employees assigned to the Grounds Team, and other employees who may be temporarily assigned for the completion of special projects and tasks.
- Examples of Essential Duties:
(The list below is intended to be illustrative, but not exhaustive. CMS and the Buildings and Grounds Department may assign the employee additional duties as may be required to meet the needs of the institution.)
- Maintains school grounds. Advises CMS management on landscape issues, plans and executes landscape maintenance programs, and plans and executes landscape improvement projects. Seeds, fertilizes and mows lawns; prunes and trims shrubs and trees; rakes leaves and debris; empties trash receptacles and picks up loose rubbish; constructs and maintains landscape structures.
- Performs simple maintenance on buildings, sports and recreation equipment, fences, gates, walls, and walks, to include cleaning and painting. Cleans drainage ditches and structures.
3. Supervises the safe and efficient operation of assigned groundscare equipment. Performs routine maintenance on portable power equipment.
- Organizes the efforts of assigned personnel to logistically support special events and functions. Moves furniture, supplies, and equipment and sets up chairs, tables, tents and platforms towards this end.
- Supervises and assists in the unloading of delivery vehicles.
- Removes snow and ice from walks, driveways, lanes, and roofs using shovels, snow blowers, and snowplows.
- Performs other Department duties which may be assigned to include, but not necessarily limited to: vacation and absence stand-in for other Department personnel; building and vehicle maintenance; solid waste and recycling operations; support for construction, operation, maintenance, and repair of utility, mechanical, data and communications, and life safety systems, and; winter storm and inclement weather management operations.
- Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required:
- Extensive knowledge of grounds operation and maintenance with experience in landscaping and turf management techniques;
- Experience with the use of and the ability to perform routine servicing and maintenance on light power equipment, such as mowers, chain saws, trimmers and blowers;
- Ability to skillfully and safely operate motor vehicles, including light duty trucks and tractors with manual transmissions;
- Ability to perform minor building maintenance work, to include the use of hand and power tools used in carpentry, masonry, painting, and plumbing;
- Ability to read and interpret written instruction and technical manuals generally used in the execution of duties assigned, to read and interpret written instructions in the form of work orders, policies, rules, and regulations, to write legibly and clearly in the completion of log sheets, forms, and other records, and to research and prepare plans and reports;
- Ability to read and interpret blueprints, and to prepare work area sketches and plans;
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals, to compute rate, ratio, and percent, and to solve simple algebraic, geometric, trigonometric and word problems;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, the ability to understand and follow oral instructions and the ability to effectively and professionally communicate with faculty, staff, and parents while representing CMS in an official capacity.
- Ability to effectively lead and supervise work teams while maintaining morale and team efficiency while using acceptable leadership and management techniques.
- Licenser and Certification Requirements:
Motor Vehicle Operator's License.
- Minimum Qualifications Required:
Associates Degree (2 yr.) in landscape architecture, horticulture, or equivalent field, plus three (3) years experience in landscaping construction and maintenance and in the operation and routine servicing of landscaping equipment, or any combination of education and experience which demonstrates possession of the required knowledge’s, skills, and abilities.
- Physical and Environmental Conditions:
(Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job, unless those accommodations would impose an undue hardship upon CMS.
Must be able and willing to perform strenuous physical work under all climatic conditions, such as extreme heat and cold, high winds, rain, and snow. Duties may require, while wearing or using proper personal protective equipment: walking, standing, heavy lifting, twisting, bending, squatting, and kneeling, and may require crawling and climbing; work in garages and mechanical spaces and other dirty and greasy areas, in cramped positions, with exposure to fumes, loud noise, vibration, and other hazards from operating engines and equipment; work in trenches and excavations in wet and muddy conditions; work in confined spaces, such as drainage and sewer man-holes and structures; work in elevated areas on ladders and scaffolding; stair climbing; and heavy lifting of over 50 pounds.
Part of Day: Continuous Frequent Occasional
100%-67% 66%-34% 33%-1%
Repetitive motions of dominant upper limb and upper torso.
Maximum lifting/carrying capacity of 80 pounds.
Location/Region: Canaan, NH (US - 03741)