Job Summary: The Construction Coordinator performs a variety of cost estimating and project coordination duties so that new construction and remodel projects are completed within their defined budgets and at/above their targeted gross profit. Serves as company Safety Officer.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Participates in project cost estimating process.
- Reviews and analyzes project plans, requirements, and specifications; Understands project logistics and project schedule.
- Takes accurate field measurements and creates electronic as-built drawings from that data.
- Determines labor, materials and equipment costs.
- Manages data within project management software (Sage) and Excel spreadsheets.
- Researches products, services and materials.
- Coordinates with subcontractors to assemble job scope.
- Prepares and analyzes competitive subcontracts and supplier bids.
- Collaborates with design team, HWC team, subcontractors or other appropriate parties.
- Facilitates project startups and supports project field staff.
- Works with staff, subcontractors, design team & suppliers to ensure materials are chosen that fit within the client’s budget.
- Proactively orders materials/supplies and arranges for on-site delivery.
- Organizes and arranges for implementation of general conditions on project sites. (Examples include staging, dumpsters, portable toilets, safety fencing, floor and dust protection systems.)
- Organizes critical schedule information from subcontractors, suppliers, architects, designers and Housewright staff to meet project deadlines and quality and profitability targets.
- Assists in resolving problems to improve productivity and efficiency.
- Reviews invoices for accuracy and budget compliance.
- Processes change orders in a timely manner.
- Communicates to keep relevant parties appropriately informed.
- Takes meeting notes and documents all important questions, conversations, and decisions. Distributes to appropriate audience via email or other appropriate methods.
- Flags missing information/materials and communicates the project schedule/budget implications to management in a timely manner to avoid crisis.
- Manages in-house materials inventory and tool inventory/maintenance program.
- Acts as company Safety Officer.
- Other duties as required.
Skills and behaviors:
- Knowledge of the construction industry and building techniques; familiarity with building codes, laws and regulations.
- Ability to define schedules and job sequencing.
- Ability to understand and use blueprints and other project planning/technical documents.
- Proficiency with project management software (Sage 100 experience preferred) and with Microsoft products, especially Word, Excel, & MS Project.
- Proficiency with CAD software, preferably Vectorworks and/or SketchUp.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team.
- Ability to plan work in advance and work efficiently, accurately and with meticulous attention to detail in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to organize and handle multiple projects and meet deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with an ability to achieve cooperative resolutions to problems.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills.
Required Education and Experience:
- Minimum of 5 years of project planning and deployment experience in construction.
- Associate or Bachelor degree in an industry-related field, such as construction management or building science; or equivalent experience.
"The foundation of the business is our dedication to be honest and fair with everyone, no matter what. And no matter what challenges or problems come up, we hang in there until it's solved. ... Above all, I insist on quality. I want all the crew to be conscientious in the execution of their work ... and they are. The strength of Housewright is the sum total of all the people working in it."
Craig Hervey, Founder & President, Housewright Construction, Inc.
Since being founded in 1985, we have earned a reputation as one of the premier builders and remodelers of distinctive homes in New Hampshire and Vermont, as well as becoming recognized as a knowledgeable and talented resource for historic building restoration.
Location/Region: Newbury, VT (US)